Thursday, August 30, 2012

An Answer to Elenor

Elenor of Live Life, Laugh and Live Longer, made a post challenging other Goths to answer her questions on what Goth means to them. I found it by seeing this post AsylumAlice's blog, and it looked so interesting I wanted to join in! (Then, while this was in draft, Amy Asphodel made her own post about it, so it appears to be making the Goth-o-sphere rounds pretty quickly!)

I'll do my best!

 1. "What does Goth culture and being a Goth means to you?" Well, I''m not an 80's TradGoth, so some might question my Twoo Goffiness. I view the subculture from a wider, more inclusive standpoint.
I was attracted to the fashion and style of RomantiGoth first. I think I've always loved the rich dark styles of Goth fashion, but I noticed that the people who wore them were all viewed as flaky and immature, and I didn't want to be seen that way. At the same time, a lot the people I was comfortable around, the ones I liked talking to, the ones who didn't think I was weird and/or mutant, were alternative- some were Goths and some Punks.
I grew up listening to classic rock, then heavy metal... and Peter Murphy on repeat throughout... (to find out a last month that he was frontman for Bauhaus- I was surprised, amused, and very, very happy) and lots and lots (and LOTS) of classical. So for me the musical influence really cinched it down.
 2. "People mostly believed that the Goth culture is into dark and death, etc. If you have a chance to shout something in their faces about the POSITIVE things that Goth culture had brought to you, what it is and why?" I used to be quiet, and annoyed with my appearance because I never fit the "golden Cali girl next door" ideal that is all around me here in... California, and therefore never fit in. I had a very different aesthetic I wanted to achieve that was not blonde and tanned and foolishly flirty. I'm introspective and thoughtful, with the family gift of a flexible face, I love storms and snow and cloudy days (I expect to move to Washington state someday...), ravens and dark gothic literature, and listening to classical music and operatic rock with the curtains drawn. For me, finding Goth was finding out there were a whole SLEW of people like me out there- it was a giddy feeling.
  3. "What positive and good things does the Goth culture had brought to you that change you as a person?" I'm more comfortable in my skin now! I can be spooky and pale within the armor of my own mind. For the most part I've stopped worrying what strangers think of me. And it's made it easier for me to find others with the same aesthetics.
 4. "Why did you choose to be a Goth?" I always enjoyed the activities, fashion, and imagery associated with it, so it was a natural step for me to make- to turn what I liked into what the world saw.
 5. "Does being a Goth is another way of self-expressionism?" Yes, of course! I express myself with Goth the same others express themselves with preppy or boho.
 6. "My parents said: 'Goths are cool. But, please stop playing funeral songs.' Do you agree in the first sentence?" They are people, some good, some bad. I don't indiscriminately like all people based on the amount of black they wear, I watch how the speak and treat others.
 7. "My sister says: 'Goths wears cross. But, they're into dark things and such... Do they believe in God?' Do you?" Since Goths are normal people, they probably have religions as varied as any other slice of the population. I'm an orthodox Christian; I don't wear crosses, and plenty others don't either. It's a personal choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...